14 January 2007

kuala lumpur

So it was onto the capital city of Kuala Lumpur or KL as it is commonly called. The bus journey was four hours. Of course, I got ripped off by the taxi driver in getting to the hotel in the Golden Triangle district. But I was unconcerned as the hotel was simply the best of my trip. As the five star hotel in George Town was nicely priced I enquired about whether they had a sister hotel in KL. They did and they were having a promotion. So for $100 I got a suite, complete with kitchen (oh the joy) and DVD/multi-media system and a gorgeous outdoor pool. From the balconey we had a pananormic view of KL with the Petronas Towers dominanting the view. The vista was breathtaking at night.

The only downside of our four days here was the dull weather with incessant drissle. Still we naviagated through the city easily with the help of their efficient underground train system. Saw the Chinese night markets, the museums, checked out the impressive acquarium and the sparkling shopping malls. I enjoyed watching thosuands of people desend from their offices to the Natonal Mosque for Friday prayers. It was a peculair sight with so many people sprawled out around the park in every direction from the overflowing mosque.

I kept hesitating as to when to take to the skybridge and experience the views from the world famous Petronas Towers. The clouds were low most days and visibility was pretty poor. Then on the final day there was a break in the weather and we made our way to the tower. I still don't understand their ticketing system but it works something along the lines of queue up at 7.30am and hopefully you will be lucky enough to buy a ticket for that day. The tickets were all sold by 10am. I wasn't that perturbed as I have stood on top of many tall buildings during my trip.

KL is nice. A business city really. For me, the hotel was absolutely the defining experience. To have such a space (it was more like a large apartment), to be able to cook at leisure, to watch DVD's, to have a swim when I wanted was just perfect. It was very comfortable and relaxing.

Well worth the dough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home