03 January 2007

phuket

After a good flight I arrived in Phuket. For once I wasn't ripped off in getting to my destination. I payed $3 for a shared bus to make the 30km journey. The bible of my travels (Lonely Planet) recommended Phuket Town as a good base for the island and since my friends would not arrive for a further five days I took the advice. Besides I was still disinterested. Sadly I spent the next five days much as I had in Bangkok. Bored and disenchanted.

Things rapidly changed once my friends arrived. The bungalow was superb. Beautifully fitted out and designed. With a lovely swimming pool. Amelia rented a car so mobility was ensured as the only downside with the bunglow was its remote location in the Rawai, in the south of island. Raymond brought along his playstation so I happily made my way through the Godfather game. In line with our collective tastes, we ate at wonderful restaurants. I began to awake from my travel slumber.

The few days passed so quickly and soon my friendsd returned home. This left me with the need to make arrangements with regard to my next step. I figured that since Christmas was dawning and I'd rather not go straight to Malaysia. I felt it would be better to invest my time and myself in a place where Europeans abound. So on to the beach area know as Patong. Tacky and commercial but more comfortable. English is readily spoken and if one looks past the neon lights and numerous ladies for sale it is a reasonable place to hang around for a while. There are at least a dozen Irish pubs of varying quality!

I found a hotel with great difficulty on the main drag. I was relieved even if paying right over the odds. But the hotel receptionist caught my eye. I made strenous efforts to talk to her. What a rogue I am! Soon she was with me when she wasn't working. My companion on my honda tours of the island (I just love buzzing about on a scooter) . My swimming partner in all of the beautiful and numerous beaches. My accomplice in extragant dining!

With nice company I stayed longer than expected. So I spent New Year in Phuket. A riotious experience, full of fireworks and explosions. So much so that it was difficult to breathe at times. Nights of Thai dancing, of which I am very enthusiactic and pinching oneself experiences.

Yes I know I am a swine given the short time since Jacky but what the hell, I invited Kanya (25) to join me in Malaysia. She talked to her boss and they agreed a short break. She was on a short term contract anyway that would shortly expire. Her intention was to return home then. Back to North East Thailand. But my plan was for her to join me on small tour and then send her way back to Phuket. I would proceed to Singapore and catch a flight to South Africa.

As I see it now I am really happy to have continued travelling and to have overcome the flight problems and the tedious hours of boredom I suffered afterward. I acknowledge that I have been travelling a long time and at some point a period of inertia was inevitable. The question was whether I could over come it and what lay ahead. I cannot understate that what lay ahead proved to be immeasurably invaluable and thoroughly worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home